ICIPE Business Support Officer Jobs in Kenya
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF – https://www.rsif-paset.org/ ) is the flagship
programme of the Partnership for Skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET), an
initiative by African governments to address systemic gaps in skills and knowledge necessary for long term, sustained economic growth in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). PASET was launched in 2013 by the governments of Senegal, Ethiopia, and Rwanda.
The governments of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria and Senegal have since joined the initiative, while several others, have expressed commitment to enter the partnership.
With funding from African governments, the World Bank and the Korean government, RSIF aims to support PhD training, research and innovation in various African universities that are selected as centres of excellence in fields identified by PASET as priority economic sectors for growth and development, including climate change, energy, food security, ICT and materials science.
A competitive grants scheme, RSIF has
two components: (i) the general fund, which supports PhD training, research and innovation projects annually and (ii) the permanent or endowment fund, whose return proceeds will become part of the general fund.
In July 2018, the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (www.icipe.org) was appointed the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU) of RSIF.
The mandate of the RCU includes: management of the two funds and the related scholarships, research and innovation grants; supporting the capacity of the universities and partnering institutions to provide quality PhD education that is relevant for Africa’s development; creating partnerships with governments, universities and national and international research organisations for research training, e.g. through sandwich training, to promote collaboration with and among the centres of excellence; and, introducing more African governments and other potential strategic partners to PASET to grow funding and to ensure continued continent wide support.
Reporting to the RCU Manager, the Programme Support Officer will be expected to support several projects in the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU), of the Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF). Specific duties for the position are indicated below.
• Works with program staff to monitor and collate programme outputs and outcomes for preparation of institutional documents such as the Results Based Management Framework and reporting.
• Coordinates data collection and gathering, analysis and management of project
• Updates and maintains project records including entering information into the electronic management information systems and follows up on approvals and other issues.
• Works closely with RSIF programme leaders to support staffing needs for the programme and
• Supports and supervises project assistants within programme and where necessary discharges responsibilities falling under the Project Assistants.
• Participates in the development of concept notes and/or proposal components including completing the relevant documentation on project budget and project work plan.
• Tracks project proposal development phase activities and progress, liaises with project leader and resource mobilization team, to ensure activities are completed as per set guidelines and
• Manages information flow and supports the project leader as requested in various steps of
identification of partners and funding opportunities.
• Supports the programme/ project leaders to undertake due diligence activities related to
suitability and capability of programme partners/sub-contractors such as compliance with
icipe’s and donor guidelines.
• Liaises with the relevant stakeholders to gather inputs for the project work plan and collate the
• Assesses and plans for future procurement needs and works with the Procurement Unit to
create detailed procurement plans.
• Oversees and/or collates procurement inputs and liaises with relevant projects/units to
complete the necessary documentation.
• Solicits for relevant inputs from the Legal and other units for the preparation/ finalization of
partner and donor agreements and maintains records.
• Participates in programme meetings and supports minute-taking and archiving of proceedings.
• Maintains effective working relationships with partners, beneficiaries, and stakeholders to
facilitate effective flow of information between all partners, team members and relevant
stakeholders in Programme activities.
• Maintains effective working relationships with internal and assigned external stakeholders and
facilitate effective flow of information in the project activities.
• Supports the reporting of project management status by collating the necessary inputs.
• Manage administrative budgets for the programme.
• Monitors the reporting schedules technical and financial of all project partners with respect to
• Ensures that icipe’s policies relating to Intellectual Property, Open Access, HR and others are being followed at the Programme/ Theme level.
• Oversees the closure activities for the projects which includes the disposal of physical assets,
research materials and staff separation/re-assignment and archiving of documentation.
• Ensures all documentation and activities for closing projects are as per agreed standards and
archiving of the same for future reference.
• Collates recommendations and learnings as required.
Support any area related to the project cycle as might be determined in consultation with the
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or its equivalent.
• Programme Management Certification
• At least 5 years’ project/programme management experience
• The ability to plan effectively and manage risks
• Stakeholder engagement skills
• Effective negotiation skills
• Problem solving skills
• Proven experience in coordinating projects with partners and stakeholders
• Experience in development and implementation of projects
• Advanced technical reporting skills
• Excellent people management skills in a multicultural setting
• Experience working in an international organization
• Finance or Accounting is an added advantage
• Proficiency in French is an added advantage
Other Desirable Attributes
• Expected to make decisions for the activities executed with significant decision-making latitude, subject to Programme/Theme Leader’s directive and guidance.
• Expected to carry out and supervise the activities of a functional area
• Supervise Project Assistant
• Expected to manage RSIF administrative budgets
• Providing technical input and data to support proposals for resource mobilization.
• Contributes to internal and external relations with stakeholders in relation to the scope of their activities.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; http://recruit.icipe.org/description_of_assignment/displayRecord?id=410