BOHEMIA (Broad One-Health Endectocide-based Malaria Intervention in Africa) is a Unitaid
funded project affiliated to the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) conducting a cluster
randomised controlled trial (cRCT) to evaluate ivermectin mass drug administration (MDA) to
humans and cattle for malaria prevention trial in Kwale county.
The project’s local implementing partner is KEMRI, through Kwale and Kilifi KEMRI Centers. The project is seeking to appoint a Field Operations Manager to support the team in leading the research activities related to the cRCT
including the MDA and follow up of safety and efficacy outcomes.
Position: Project Manager/field Operations Manager (1 Position)
Job Grade: Kmr 4
Reporting to: Project Principal Investigators
The candidate will be expected to lead the effective planning and coordination of activities and resources to achieve project deliverables and successful project completion within timeline. The
candidate will work together with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, trial coordinators, study compliance officers, and clinicians.
The successful candidate will manage a large team of field workers, community health workers and other casual labour force to reach approximately 10k households distributed across Kwale county for a duration of four months plus additional followup time. They will also be responsible for designing the training and fieldwork schemes for the large team under their supervision.
• Manage all field operations of the MDA exercise of ivermectin to humans and participant
follow up for safety and efficacy outcomes.
Coordinate employment of field team workforce.
Supervise and oversee a large team of field workers, community health workers
(CHWs), and casual laborers by designing a pyramidal supervision system from
headquarters down to field.
Design and manage a field logistics deployment plan of employees (e.g., their
distribution throughout the study area, the division of tasks at all levels) and study
household visit schedule according to the study protocol.
Draft study documents including a Field Operations Manual and study specific
Design the training plan, the training manual, and the supplementary materials to
Coordinate field transportation of field team workforce.
Manage all unexpected issues in field.
• Establish effective communication with the principal investigator, clinical trial
coordinator, project manager, project assistant, and other team members through regular
meetings and reports ensuring transparency of project progress and critical milestones.
• Identify best step-wise approaches to complex tasks using effective prioritization;
• Be aware of team members skills and strengths and delegate roles and responsibilities
• Identify risks or concerns to operations and establish escalation paths.
• Monitor the progress of work package deliverables and identify where additional support
or resources are needed.
• Work with the project’s financial officer to monitor the work package spending in
accordance with the study budget adhering to institutional guidelines and requirements.
• Master’s degree level qualification in relevant field.
• Bachelor’s degree level qualification in relevant field.
• A minimum of C+ KCSE.
• At least 5 years of experience in project management (or a similar type of coordination
position) with a demonstrated track-record in managing large scale, complex, field
operations including logistics, and staff coordination.
• Experience working with milestone-oriented projects from any sector including research,
non-governmental, governmental, industry, and business led projects.
• Track record in coordinating activities from different workstreams.
Key Skills and Competencies
• Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead a team and
• Solid organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
• Excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, ability to handle troublesome situations and
anticipate issues with a decisive attitude.
• Outstanding communication skills with ability to adapt to different types of audiences
maintaining cultural sensitivity and professionalism.
• The ideal candidate will also have a high degree of integrity, discipline, and work ethic.
Desired but not essential
• Experience working in Kwale.
• Experience working in health-related research.
Terms of Employment
One (1) year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service. Probation period for the first
3 months. Salary is payable within the stated job grade.
Applications MUST include the following:
• Letter of Application (Indicate Vacancy Number)
• Current Curriculum Vitae with telephone number and e-mail address
• Contacts of three referees including telephone numbers and/or e-mail addresses
• Copies of Certificates.
• Contact telephone number
Application letter should be addressed to the Deputy Director, CGMR (C), P. O. Box 428– 80108
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; https://www.kemri.go.ke/careers/