Reporting to the Charge Nurse, the Successful Candidate Will Be Responsible for Conducting Medical and Psychological Counselling, Couple Counselling and Family Therapy to All Inpatients, and Outpatient, and Staff/students’ Clients in Line With the Hospital’s Patient Care Objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Organize and Manage the Functions of Patient Counselling in Nursing Practice.
• Provide Guidance and Mentorship to Counselling Liaison Nurses and All Nurses as Well as a Resource Person for Other Hospital Staff Practicing Nurses.
• Conduct Ward Rounds, Liaise With Doctors and Ward Staff for New Clients to Be Counselled.
• Observe and Maintain Confidentiality and Ensure That Any Revelation of Any Information is Through the Right Channel.
• Ensure and Maintain the Expected Counselling Standards as Well as Maintain a Safe
Practice and Environment for All Clients.
• Exercise Professionalism and Be a Role Model to the Counselling Profession Within The Hospital.
• Hold Brief in Absence of the Charge Nurse or the Social Worker.
• Co-ordinate and, Maintain and Implement the Hospitals Cancer Support Group Activities to Ensure That Clients Are Satisfied With the Care; Get Holistic Care
• Ensure That All Inpatients Are Attended to Within 24 Hours of the Request.
• Keep Records of All in and Outpatients Counselled.
• Participate in the Formulation and Implementation of Nursing Standards, Procedures And Audits, Counselling Standards, Documents and Processes in the Hospital Committees
• Conduct Psychological Debriefing, Individual, Couple and Family Counselling for All Staff and Others as Required.
• Promote Good Interpersonal Relationship With Other Disciplines in the Hospital.
• Stay Up to Date and Ensure Effective Implementation of All Hospital Management And Nursing Policies; and
• Any Other Responsibilities That May Be Assigned to the Job Holder by the Supervisor From Time to Time.
Education and Experience
• Diploma in Nursing or Bachelor of Science in Nursing From
a Recognized Institution.
• Diploma in Counselling or Any Other Related Field From a Recognized Institution. Counselling Psychology. A Bachelor’s Degree in Counselling Psychology Would Be An Added Advantage
• Must Be a Registered Member With the Kenya Counsellors and Psychologists Association and Hold a Valid Practicing License.
• Minimum of 5 Years’ Relevant Work Experience.
• Counselling Skills
• Listening Skills
• Networking Skills
• Ability to Work for Long Hours Under Pressure With Minimal Supervision
• Drive and Openness to Learning
• Time Management Skills
• Interpersonal Skills
• Effective Decision Making and Judgement Skills
• Analytical Skills
• Attention to Detail
• Planning and Organising Skills
• Communication Skills Including Presentation and Facilitation Skills
• Team Working Skills
• Critical Thinking Skills
How to apply
If Your Background, Experience and Competence Match the Above Specifications, Please Send Us
Your Application (Cover Letter & Cv/resume) Quoting the Job Reference Number, Your Current,
Testimonials and Full Contact Details of 3 Referees, to Reach the Undersigned Not Later Than 5th
Only Shortlisted Candidates Will Be Contacted.
We Shall Only Accept Online Applications and Contact Shortlisted Candidates.
The Nairobi Hospital Does Not Charge Recruitment Fees.
Director, Human Resources & Operations
The Nairobi Hospital
P. O. Box 30026 – 00100